Thursday, March 3, 2011

February 15th, 2011

Feb 15th
An exciting day today. I gave two Capitol Tours where I lead around constituents to see the Capitol and the support buildings. People are generally pleased to see how things work and are excited to see historical things they have read about for years. While touring the Senate gallery around 3pm this afternoon I witnessed my first session of proceedings on the floor. There was a roll call vote on the McCain amendment to the FAA Bill which has been debated for a few weeks now. Several Senators were in attendance including: Sen Harry Reid, Sen John McCain, Sen Mitch McConnell, Sen Claire McCaskill, Sen Tom Harkin, and Sen Al Franken-who later took the President’s chair to preside. The amendment went down 47 to 51 and was not added to the bill.
Earlier in the day I went to a welcome to DC event in the Cannon House Office building for lunch to get the free food and handouts ranging from candy to stress balls that were shaped like the Capitol dome. Jumping off the elevator on the 2nd floor I passed right by Sen Joe Lieberman and other Senators that I have not memorized their faces yet. Reporters were of course swarming them with tape recorders outstretched and questions firing a mile a minute. Lots of neat things and people I have seen today making it one of the most rewarding since I have arrived here in Washington. Giving two Capitol tours was not easy on my feet as I wear dress shoes but I will make it, I am a Soldier after all! Funny thing is, my combat boots are much more comfortable and I would prefer to wear them instead of these shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment